Stepping Away from Distractions

I attended a lady's luncheon at my church this week. Our speaker shared her testimony - how God took her self-sufficiency and chiseled away at it over the years through various trials, and how his grace is always sufficient. It reminded me of my high-minded dreams as a young woman and how God yanked it all out from beneath me in 1997. I became gravely ill, never to be a whole woman again in this life. At least not physically speaking.

I've been on a bit of a high lately from fellowship with dear friends that God has brought into my life. This evening I crashed. Fatigue slammed me and out came the grouch. As I was thinking of a devotional for this week, I reflected that this is probably the reminder I'm in need of:

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." ~ John 15:5, ESV

I need to step back and take some time for myself and Jesus - away from the distractions of my wonderful family and their many needs... away from my writing world and the demands it brings... away from everything that distracts me from my focus on Jesus, my rock who never changes.

What about you?

4 comments:

  1. Very good. I know I can't go very long without sitting at Jesus' feet. My favorite spot, or resting in His arms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me how far I can go on the "high", then when conflict arises, that's when I realize I haven't hit the "pause" button in a while. Definitely something I need to work on. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete